This low stone mill building and the miller's house are still standing on the outskirts of Belper on the Black Brook, just off Chevin Road. At some stage the original small mill by the dam wall has had its height raised by about five feet. An extension which has a cowl built into its roof has been added at a later date. The wheel pit which could accommodate a low breastshot waterwheel of approximately 18ft diameter by 8ft wide is covered by concrete beams. The pool has recently been partially dredged and is used, controlled by the old sluices and spillway, as an attractive feature for a house conversion. Two 48in diameter runner stones are built into a path. G Ryde is recorded as miller in 1876. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. p 62.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.