Monument record MDR8588 - Brickworks near Gallowlow Lane, Cromford & High Peak Railway, Ballidon
Type and Period (2)
- BRICKWORKS (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Minninglow Brick Works. Photographic record. (1,2). Late 18th century brickworks. Sand from the nearby quarries was used to make silica bricks which were transported, by train, to Sheffield, where they were used to line steel furnaces. (3). All that survives is a kiln and some walls. The kiln is circular, approximately six metres in diameter and one and ½ metres high, it is made of brick with the majority fire-cracked. The inside is coated with large amounts of slag and vitrified brick or mortar. There are eight small rectangular holes, visible at ground level, approximately 50cm high, which reach up through the structure; these are presumably flues. Two short stretches of drystone wall, approximately 10-15 metres long, also survive in poor condition. It is possible that the two walls are of the siding and none of the works building remains. (4-8).
- <1> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 962.1-26.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 478.0a-8a, 11a-14a; 478.30a-34a; 473.2a; 447.4a-5a.
- <3> SDR19228 Bibliographic reference: Hodges, R & Wildgoose, M. The Antiquity of a Peakland Hill Farm.
- <4> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no: 192.
- <5> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. pp 264-266.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet: XXXIII.7.
- <7> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <8> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
|Grid reference||SK 20506 57224 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2012 8:13AM