Building record MDR8600 - Outbuilding, Near Junction of B5056 and Bonsall Lane, Winster
Type and Period (2)
- OUTBUILDING (Victorian to 21st Century - 1880 AD? to 2050 AD)
- BARN ? (Victorian to 21st Century - 1880 AD? to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Outbuilding, near junction of B5056 and Bonsall Lane, Winster, possibly a late 19th century building. There is no Tithe map available for Winster, and the earliest available map on which the building appears is the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880, where it is not labelled. Given the contemporary frequency of 'Old Lead Mines' marked on this map, the precise function of this building is not clear. A rapid field visit carried out in 1994 described it as a '...Field barn with corrugated iron and asbestos roof,' and produced some photography. (1-2) The building is part of the Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Survey of 2016. (3) The structure began as a fairly small building of limestone rubble some time in the 19th century. It later had extensions, of similar construction, added at either end, and finally a lean too structured was added to one end. (4)
- <1> SDR19124 Personal Observation: Murcott, A (PDNPA). 1994-5. Barn Condition Survey. 75.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 349.31-33.
- <3> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <4> SDR24658 Unpublished document: Nuth, G (ARS). 2020. Land Adjactent to Islington Lane, Winster: Historic Building Recording.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 23748 59916 (6m by 17m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2020 10:01AM