Monument record MDR8605 - Flint scatters around possible barrow, Ivonbrook Quarry, Ivonbrook Grange
Type and Period (2)
- BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A possible ploughed-down barrow identified by K. Smith on the 16th January 1995, on the crest of a hill. One flint and one bone fragment were recovered from a molehill on the feature. (1) Oxford Archaeological Unit excavated the site later in 1995. No archaeological deposits or features were discovered. (2) Barnatt rejects this mound as a barrow. (3) Waste flint, no distinguishing features. From ploughed field. One scraper, one broken tangled implement (arrowhead?), one broken flint axe fragment or discordial knife (polished). (4)
- <1> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 17.1.1995.
- <2> SDR20124 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1997. Ivonbrook Grange Farm, Ivonbrook Grange, Winster and Brassington, Derbyshire. p 15.
- <3> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:P.
- <4> SDR23326 Index: Makepeace, G. 2009. Finds from Ivonbrook Grange possible barrow site, 16th April, 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2365 5877 (259m by 336m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IVONBROOK GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 11:25AM