Monument record MDR8610 - Accommodation bridge, near Roystone Grange Quarry, Cromford and High Peak Railway, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- ACCOMMODATION BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Railway overbridge on the Cromford & High Peak Railway which is built of limestone. There is some collapse on the south-east wing wall which has been stemmed by the addition of gabions filled with stone from an adjacent field wall. (1) Photographic record. (2,3) Accommodation bridge allowing a track to pass under the Cromford & High Peak Railway. The bridge is set within an embankment and is c. six metres wide and seven metres high. The bridge is of roughly dressed limestone blocks, laid in courses and held together by mortar and is topped by a dry-stone wall. (7) Bridge parapets formed of stone sleeper blocks which formed part of the original track of the CHPR in 1825. (9)
- <1> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication.
- <2> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 976.1.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 447.6a.
- <4> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <5> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIII.11.
- <6> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <7> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no. 186.
- <8> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. p256.
- <9> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 20630 56839 (28m by 19m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2014 8:47AM