Building record MDR8611 - Minninglow Grange Farm, Ballidon
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Minninglow Grange, Ballidon. Partially extant 19th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a regular courtyard of L-plan and additional detached elements to the main plan. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The site is in an isolated location. Large modern sheds are located to the side of the site, suggesting it may remain in agricultural use. There has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1) (2) (3) (4) There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (5). Minninglow Grange Farmstead was established at the boundaries of Roystone Grange and Mouldridge Grange. Although the name suggests a Medieval origin, the farmstead is a later establishment. (6). Garendon Abbey was the parent house for Roystone Grange and Dunstable Abbey was the parent house of Mouldridge Grange. (7). Photographic record. (8).
- <1> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <2> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <3> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <4> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <5> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25. pp 24-25.
- <6> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 1997.
- <7> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p155.
- <8> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 447.1a.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 200 578 (14m by 11m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 3:31PM