"In a field called Callow, at Mappleton, near Ashbourne, are three tumuli placed in a line about eighty yards from each other; they are all formed of sandy earth and pebbles". All three were opened by Samuel Carrington. The central mound was opened on September 1 1849. This barrow "had not been so much reduced by the plough; it is twenty yards across and 3½ feet high in the middle, where is a large tree. The occupier of the land told us that he had some years ago dug down by the roots of the tree and found what he considered human ashes and charcoal spread all over the floor of the mound, in the midst of which he discovered a piece of iron about four inches long, since lost. We examined the natural surface at the same point without detecting the least particle of bone, but noticed a thin layer of light-coloured sandy clay spread on the natural surface, which was the substance mistaken for human ashes. By undercutting the tree a few calcined bones were found, and in another direction were some pieces of an urn, a few more bones, and chippings of flint". (1)
SK 17014760, south-west of Callow Farm. A barrow 60 feet in diameter and 3 feet high with a single tree on top. Fragments of an urn and flints were found by Samuel Carrington in 1849, probably representing a cremation. (3)
Carrington recorded that all three barrows were in the same field 'about 70 or 80 yards from each other'. Field survey in October 1988 searched the area from Callow Top Farm northwards without result. It was noted that the area to the south should be searched at a future date. The 8 figure grid reference given by Marsden (Authority 3) is spurious - this small field has rig and furrow throughout and is not large enough to have contained the three barrows. There is no trace of a mound in it. The barrows are likely to have been somewhere on the Callow Top ridge and a more thorough search than that made in 1988 may reveal traces of them. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 155-156.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 70.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 14:5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 169 474 (point) (Approximate)
MAPLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2014 2:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.