"In a field called Callow, at Mappleton, near Ashbourne, are three tumuli placed in a line about eighty yards from each other; they are all formed of sandy earth and pebbles". All three were opened by Samuel Carrington. The mound furthest from Ashbourne was opened on August 28 1849. He described it as follows: " On the same day [as that nearest to Ashbourne had been opened] we cut into that at the opposite extremity with no better success, finding only flints and charcoal, but no bones. The height of this mound, which has been frequently ploughed over, is two feet only". (1)
Carrington recorded that all three barows were in the same field 'about 70 or 80 yards from each other'. Field survey in October 1988 searched the area from Callow Top Farm northwards without result. It was noted that the area to the south should be searched at a future date. The barrows are likely to have been somewhere on the Callow Top ridge and a more thorough search than that made in 1988 may reveal traces of them. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 155-156.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p70.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 14:6.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 169 474 (point) (Approximate)
MAPLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 10 2014 11:26AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.