The top half of a guide stoop dated 1709 was found propped up in a field wall. It probably came from the crossroads to the south-west (Pikehall-Winster-Elton-Aldwark). (1, 2).
The top half of this stoop was buried in a field wall on Elton Common at approx. SK 221592. According to family memory it had lain there for at least 125 years before its existence was made known to Howard Smith in 1998. The stoop was removed from the wall in May 1999 and erected on a new site (bedded into concrete) in July 1999, having first been attached to a stone base. The new site was considered to be 'the nearest logical placement to its original site which allows easy public access'. The stoop is 33cm by 28cm and is 122cm high, including the new base. All four faces of the stoop are inscribed with large lettering. The west face reads 'ASH / BVRN / 1709; the south 'WIN / STE(R)', the east 'BAKE / WALL', and the north '(P)IKE / HALL'. (3)
Verbal communication: Anon. Personal communication. H. Smith, 1998.
Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. sketch, H. Smith, 1998.
Bibliographic reference: Smith, H. 2000. The Guide Stoops of Derbyshire. 2nd and Revised Edition.. pp 48-49.
Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 218 595 (point) (Approximate)
BRASSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2011 8:23AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.