Monument record MDR8640 - Milestone, north-east of White Meadow, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1850 AD)
Grade II listed milestone, late 18th century in date and constructed of gritstone with a semi-circular top. Inscribed: 'To ASHBOURNE / 5 / MILES, To / BAKEWELL / 12 / MILES'. (1). The milestone stood on the Ashbourne-Bakewell turnpike road and is a painted ashlar sandstone block with a shaped top. In August 1983 it was described as being in need of restoration. (2). Photographic record. (3).
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <2> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D290.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 24.4.
- <4> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/BAL/01.
|Grid reference||SK 2071 5391 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2011 9:11AM