Monument record MDR8652 - Chaddesden Mill (site of), Derby
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Chaddesden Mill is marked by name on the 1836 Ordnance map at the junction of the Lees Brook and the River Derwent. An advert in 'The Miller' in 1886 was seeking a 'turbine of 6-10 H.P. for use at the mill, with fall of 13ft 6ins'. Millers include William Barker, 1835; T. Stevenson, 1864; and Robert Buxton, 1876. (1) Sanderson's map of 1835 (2) and later OS maps indicate that the mill lay at the junction of the brook and the Derby Canal, rather than the River Derwent. The 1st ed. OS map shows a mill pond to the north of the mill buildings (3). By the time of the 2nd edition (1900), the mill is marked as 'disused' and there is no mill pond depicted (4). The site has been redeveloped for housing.
- <1> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. p 67.
- <2> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.14.
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.14, 1900.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 37582 35994 (75m by 86m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2019 6:07PM