The water management structures and earthworks associated with Sir Richard Arkwright's third mill. This was the first designed to use river water and became his most ambitious water-harnassing scheme. This comprises a submerged weir, a millstream, millpond and millrace (all retained by an earthen embankment), a high retaining dam wall, a water outlet tunnel and a tail race. the original lease was obtained by Arkwright in 1777 who went on to build the first mill and millpond. The original millpond lay behind the mill buildings and comprised three weirs, an embankment and a new river channel. The millpond was retained behind a high dam wall incorporating a millwheel of undershot type. By the 1820s the pond and water wheel were no longer adequate and were modified by an embankment 0.8km long with an enlarged water wheel of high breast type. The embankments were further modified and strengthened in 1880 on the line of the original embankments. The mill buildings were destroyed by fire, and successive modern buildings now cover the original mill building site. (1)
Unpublished document: Grange, E (ARS Ltd). 2018. Lumford Mill, Riverside Business Park: Historic Building Recording.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 21100 69274 (934m by 541m) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2020 10:36AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.