Monument record MDR8689 - Milestone, Longshaw Estate, Grindleford
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (Georgian - 1758 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- None recorded
1m high gritstone milestone. Wedge shaped in section, approx 40cm x 8cm x 20cm. Long sides eroded, but mainly still legible. 'TO TIDWELL - 8', 'BUXTON - 15', 'TO SHEFFILD'. Photographic record. (1-2) A stone milepost, standing c. 1m high, with wedge-shaped section and curved top. It stands on a disused stretch of the Buxton to Ringinglow Turnpike of 1758. The two main faces are inscribed under columns. Under 'To' on the north-east face is 'Tideswell' and 'Buxton' and under 'Mile' is '8' and '15' respectively. Under 'To' on the south-west face is 'Sheffild', but the number under 'Mile' is too worn to read. The south-west face is badly eroded, while the other is relatively sharp. This, and the fact that the stone stands part way across the turnpike causeway, indicates the stone has been re-erected and is not at its exact original site. It originally read 8 miles to Sheffield. (3)
- <1> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7437.1-2.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 493.30a-31a.
- <3> SDR19852 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. Yarncliffe, Longshaw Estate (Hathersage, Nether Padley and Froggatt Parishes), Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. Feature 7, p 10.
- <4> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/GRI/03.
|Grid reference||SK 2629 8002 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 12:40PM