Monument record MDR869 - Calwich Abbey, Calwich Park, Staffordshire
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- AUGUSTINIAN CELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
(SK 12924321) Calwich Abbey (NAT) Abbey (NR) (Site of). (1) Calwich or Calewyk - Austin Canons. Appears to have been a small cell for two to four canons, with four 1377 and 1383, two to three in the 15th century and two in 1518. Brethren mentioned here c. 1130. The Hermitage (2) was granted by Nicholas de Greselei to Kenilworth Priory before 1148. Dedicated to St Margaret in 1391; it was granted to Merton Priory by Henry VIII in 1535-6 and finally to John Fleetwood in 1543. (3-4) Calwich Abbey. 'The present mansion is modern, and is supposed to occupy the site of the church that belonged to the Hermitage, and which was converted by the Fleetwoods into a family seat. The ancient Hermitage has been converted into stables, but some portions of the original fabric yet remain. The north walls with pointed gables are nearly entire'. (5) No trace of the monastic cell remains. The house known as Calwich Abbey is a Georgian Building and is now ruinous: its stables do not appear to contain any earlier work (see Authy. 5). (6)
- <1> SDR12069 Map: 1924. OS 6" 1924.
- <2> SDR15166 Bibliographic reference: Nasmith, J. 1787. Tanners Notitia Monastica Staf 4.
- <3> SDR410 Bibliographic reference: Prynne. 'Prior de Calewyk' 3 716.
- <4> SDR8935 Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D & Hadcock, R. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses. pp 151-2.
- <5> SDR7161 Bibliographic reference: Anon. 1839. History & Topography of Ashbourne 239-41.
- <6> SDR6453 Personal Observation: F1 VJB 04-DEC-57.
- <7> SDR6581 Personal Observation: F2 FKB 18-MAR-74.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1292 4321 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2014 2:43PM