Monument record MDR8695 - Boundary marker, Beeley Moor, Beeley
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY STONE (Victorian - 1856 AD to 1856 AD)
- None recorded
Beeley-Brampton boundary, just north of the roadside wall. The stone is reclining and can be seen by looking over the wall. It is inscribed: 'BP - BB - 1856' . Photographic record. (1) This stone lies adjacent to the roadside wall, on the moor side. It is a dressed gritstone pillar with rounded top which has been re-erected recently. The side facing the road is inscribed D / B B / 1856. the left hand 'B' is reversed. D stands for Derbyshire, the Bs for Beeley and Brampton. The stone marks the boundary between Beeley and Brampton parishes (previously townships/liberties until 1868) and the stone was added to a pre-existing boundary line in 1856. There are further stones on the same line, some of which are earlier. Two of the stones on the moor, associated with the boundaries of Beeley, Baslow and/or Brampton are also dated 1856. (2)
- <1> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 17.3-4.
- <2> SDR19851 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1998. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Moorlands: Archaeological Survey 1997-8. p 98, feature 17.14.
|Grid reference||SK 306 684 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2015 9:21AM