Monument record MDR8696 - Guidestone, south-west of Cornerstones Farm, Brampton
Type and Period (1)
- DIRECTION STONE (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1800 AD)
Inscribed gritstone square section guidestone, 1.6m high on the south side of the old Bakewell - Chesterfield road. Inscribed : 'CHEST - R FIEL ROAD', 'BAKEWELL ROAD'. There is a benchmark on the north face. The stone has, at one time, been white-washed. Photographic record. (1, 3,4) On September 7th 2000 this stoop was re-erected in 'its correct original position' by members of the Holymoorside and District History Society. Its previous location was 0.8 km to the east near the entrance to Pudding Pie Farm (SK 307718), where it had stood for some years before 1940. After the war the local WI re-erected it in approximately the same place. When it was removed from Pudding Pie Farm, onlookers were surprised by its bulbous base (hitherto concealed in the ground) and its total length of 8' 9" (267cm), which means that over half the stone is below ground at its present location. The purpose of the stoop was to reassure travellers that they were on the correct route between Bakewell and Chesterfield. (5) The 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map shows a 'Stone' at Pudding Pie Farm, with nothing marked at the site where the guide stoop now stands. This suggests that the guide stoop had been at Pudding Pie Farm since at least the mid-1870s and casts some doubt on the present position being the original one, particularly since it is only 80m away from the alleged original position of another stoop marking the Chesterfield and Bakewell Roads. (6)
- <1> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 5.17-21.
- <2> SDR17179 Bibliographic reference: Smith, H. 1996. Guide Stoops of Derbyshire. p. 68-69, illust..
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 2334.1.
- <4> SDR18975 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Colour photograph collection. Film. 507.76, 108.
- <5> SDR19723 Bibliographic reference: Smith, H. 2000. The Guide Stoops of Derbyshire. 2nd and Revised Edition.. E11, pp 74-75.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <7> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey.
|Grid reference||SK 3017 7204 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 1 2015 11:25AM