Monument record MDR8697 - Guidestone, north-west of Cornerstones Farm, Brampton
Type and Period (1)
- DIRECTION STONE (Georgian - 1743 AD to 1743 AD)
This is one of a smaller number of later guide stoops erected in 1743, only a few years before the bridleway was upgraded to a carriageway following turnpiking in 1759 as part of the Chesterfield and Hernestone Lane Head Trust. The gritstone stoop is 25 x 32 cm and 122 cm high, with 5cm high lettering. It is inscribed 'BAKE / WELL / ROAD / 1743', MIDEL / TON / ROAD', 'DRON / FIELD / ROAD', CHESTER / F IELD ROAD'. This stone was 'put back in its original position' in September 2000 by members of the Holymoorside and District History Society, who moved it from its previous position at the V-junction some 165m to the east where it had been placed after its temporary removal during World War II. (1) The 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map shows a 'Stone' at the V-junction, with nothing marked at the crossroads where the guide stoop now stands. This would seem to suggest that the guide stoop had not simply been moved to the V-junction during World War II but had in fact been there since at least the mid-1870s. This must cast some doubt on the present position being the original one, particularly since it is only 80m away from the alleged original position of another stoop marking the Chesterfield and Bakewell Roads. (2) Photographic record. (3-5)
- <1> SDR19723 Bibliographic reference: Smith, H. 2000. The Guide Stoops of Derbyshire. 2nd and Revised Edition.. pp 72-73.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18975 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Colour photograph collection. Film. 507.77-78.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 5.22-26; 492.3-7.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 2335.1-5.
- <6> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey.
|Grid reference||SK 3019 7212 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 1 2015 11:21AM