This two storey mill on the Foston Brook, a tributary of the River Dove, is built of brick and has a tiled roof. It was in use until early in the 20th century. There are traces of the mill pond and the leats, and the building still forms part of the present farm. The first record is for a miller, William Elkin, 1777-1785. Other millers included Joseph Salt, 1846-57, Charles Teat, 1887-1985 and Walter Nash, 1912-1925, although other records indicate that the mill stopped working in 1917. (1)
The 2nd ed. OS map of 1901 shows a long narrow mill pond to the north of the mill with an overflow running off to the west. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B26, plate 29, p 77.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet LIII.2, 1901.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 18768 33484 (point) (Approximate)
FOSTON AND SCROPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2011 10:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.