Monument record MDR8699 - Lime kiln and quarry, Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Recorded on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as an 'old limekiln' and it therefore predates 1880. (1) Good example of an early lime kiln, well preserved. Built on the hillside above the road, east of the B5053, half mile north of Glutton Bridge. (2) Large well preserved continuous running lime kiln built into a steep slope with a quarry to the east. The western wall of the kiln is retained by a long, large and thick drystone wall. There are terraced trackways leading from the Brierlow to Longnor Turnpike to this lime kiln from the north and west. It is of 19th century date. (3) Rather squat limekiln in a field east of the B5053. Used lime from a small quarry on the hillside above. (4) The site of a demolished 19th century lime kiln. The site was in an isolated location. All traditional buildings have been lost. (5, 6, 7, 8)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR13032 Unpublished document: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1986. Limekiln Survey 1985 and 1986.
- <3> SDR20104 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2003. Glutton Grange Farm, Hartington Middle Quarter and Longnor, Derbyshire and Staffordshire, archaeological field survey. No.7, p. 4.
- <4> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
- <5> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <6> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <7> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <8> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0897 6748 (60m by 89m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2017 3:14PM