Monument record MDR8702 - Milestone, Long Hill, Hartington Upper Quarter

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Situated on the west side of the Buxton-Stockport Road are the worn remains of a milestone. The only legible inscription reads 'Buxton'. The milestone is on the original 1724 Buxton to Manchester turnpike. (1). This milestone lies on the west side of the Derby to Manchester Turnpike diversion built between 1812 and 1824. It is made from sandstone and is wedge-shaped in plan, with a curved top. It is badly worn, the only readable inscription, other than a bench mark, is the word 'Buxton' on one of the two faces. (2) The 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, which shows the milestone, reads 'London 163, Manchester 20, Buxton 4'. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D175, Pheasey, K H, 08/12/78.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. p 61, Feature 266.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 0194 7713 (point) (Approximate)
Civil Parish HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3759

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 11 2015 2:24PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.