Cast-iron milepost, painted white with black lettering. Reads: 'Chapel en le Frith 2 Miles' and 'Sheffield 20 Miles, Hathersage 10 Miles, Castleton 4 Miles'. The post is on the 1812 diversion of Sheffield - Chapel turnpike. (1).
Milepost 230 metres from Rushup Lane Junction. Grade II listed, early 19th century in date. Constructed of cast iron. Triangular section milepost, standing approximately three feet high, with pointed arched top and curving top panel. East side inscribed 'CHAPEL EN LE FRITH 2 MILES', West Side inscribed 'SHEFFIELD 20 MILES, HATHERSAGE 10 MILES, CASTLETON 4 MILES'. (2).
Photographic record. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D128.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1983: 25.9-10. 507.60.
Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/CHA/03.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 094 825 (point)
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2011 12:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.