Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR873 - Norbury Mill, Dove Street, Norbury and Roston

Type and Period (6)

  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Early 20th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1901 AD to 1955 AD)
  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1100 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK 120 422 Norbury Mill. (1) Norbury Mill is a small corn mill which originally had two wheels. One of these, an undershot still survives. Machinery framework and one pair of stones also remain. (2) Norbury Mill is an early 17th century structure constructed of sandstone ashlars with moulded and glazed windows, parapetted coped gables, an external plinth and segmental arched doorways. The building is four bays long and two storeys high. Wheelhouses exist at either end with watercourses and wheels which drove machinery in the central bays. Overhauled in the 18th century, and in the late 19th century it was extended to form a sawmill, which remained in use until the 20th century. Associated is a 17th century malt kiln and 18th century millhouse. (3) A water mill at Norbury, valued at 10 shillings, is included in the mills listed in Domesday Book. The site of the present mill buildings on the River Dove probably represents the site of this ancient mill. The 17th century stone mill has two storeys and is roofed with attractive Staffordshire tiles. The building is some 85ft long and 25ft wide, with the ground floor set just below the level of the mill dam. There is a first floor only at the south end of the building where the mill stones and a fireplace are located. The stone structure is well built with walls up to 2ft thick and with stone mullioned windows. Close by is a small barn which might have been a kiln in the distant past. Unfortunately the mill is presently in a very poor structural condition and considerable work would be needed to restore it to working order. There was certainly a mill here in the 16th century when the will of John Fitzherbert referred to 'all stuff at the mylne as the mylner deyly occupieth'. There is an inscription above the main door 'WB 1736' but it is not clear to whom this refers. In the 18th century the adjacent mill cottage was built and the mill reconditioned. An estate valuation of 1809 refers to 'an undershot water grist mill, working three pairs of stones, well supplied by water from the River Dove'. In around 1928 the mill appears to have stopped grinding corn for a time, and in 1932 part became an estate workshop, with a saw mill powered from the river and also a dynamo to provide light for the Hall. The saw mill was housed in a timber lean-to, with a corrugated iron roof, on the eastern side of the building. Sam Wheeldon was the last known miller and he ceased work about 1955. (4) A grade II listed watermill built in the early 17th century with 18th and 19th century alterations. It is built of sandstone ashlar with stone dressings, and has alterations in red brick. It has a plain tile roof with coped gables and moulded kneelers. It is of two storeys, four bays, with wheelhouses to the north and south. The east elevation has a central segment-headed door of plain voussoirs, with a hoodmould above, and to either side there are 18th century buttresses. To the south the wall has partially collapsed leaving only part of a former three-light recessed and chamfered mullion window. Beyond to the south is a low, similar two-light window with a dripmould over and segment, voussoired arch below for the mill race to the southern wheel. To the south again is a long slot for machinery. To the north of the central doorcase is a large segment-headed voussoired arch for a northern mill race. The west elevation has been considerably altered but retains the segment-headed door to the centre and a three-light recessed and chamfered mullion window above. Beyond to the north, the wall has been rebuilt and a 19th century hoist for logs attached to the building. The interior has been much altered and the floor has mostly collapsed; however the staggered purlin king post roof with side strutts survives, as does the northern timber frame internal partition. The southern waterwheel is a low breast-shot wheel approximately 11ft in diameter. It is constructed of a mixture of cast iron and wood, with cast iron hub, rim and shaft. This drove only a single pair of millstones and a sack hoist. The pit wheel is also wooden with iron gearing. The northern wheel is also a breast-shot wheel, it has cast iron rims with wooden floats between, and a cast iron hub. To the north side of the wheel is a cast iron bevel wheel. As this was converted sometime in 19th century to a sawmill no stones survive to the north side. See list description for more details. (5) There is also a grade II listed corn drying kiln on the site. It was built in the 17th century with many later alterations. It is built of sandstone ashlar with stone dressings and has a plain tile roof with moulded stone coped gables and kneelers. It is of two storeys and two bays. The south elevation has a low doorcase with a timber frame to the west side, and a tall, now partly blocked opening, above to the east side, which now has a timber window frame just below the eaves. The west gable wall has a first floor door opening with internal timber lintel, whilst the north elevation has a blocked doorcase to the east and an inserted central doorcase with a timber frame. There are no interior features. Included for group value only. (6) Partly-collapsed derelict gritstone water corn mill with slate roof on the River Dove on an ancient mill site. The older parts of the mill are said to date from the early 17th century. The site was surveyed in detail in 1983-1984. (7)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: 1975. CBA Panel on Industustrial Monuments. p13.
  • <3> Unpublished document: Drage, C, Sissons, M & Hills, M (TPAT). 1988. Norbury Mill: The Development of an Early Seventeenth Century Water Mill. Incl. Photos.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B46, pp 91-92, plate 37.
  • <5> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE no: 1204392.
  • <6> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE no: 1109763.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.



Grid reference Centred SK 122 422 (725m by 319m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR3941
  • EDR1775

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 12 2023 6:01PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.