Building record MDR8740 - Biggin Mill, Bigginhill Lane, Biggin
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Derelict mill, no mill fittings left. Used as outbuildings. (1) The OS map of 1900 marks the mill as disused and shows the pond, marked 'Old Mill Pond', as beginning to silt up. (2) There is a reference to 'Bigging Mylne' in 1602 and to 'le Mylne crofte' in 1574. (3) Biggin Mill is on a minor tributary of the River Ecclesbourne. It was advertised for sale in the Derby Mercury, in March 1843, as follows: 'Old established water corn mill called Biggin Mill, excellent machinery and three pairs of stones, dresser and 14ft diameter water wheel. Complete with drying kiln, house and mill dam. Fall of water 18 feet'. Its later life is not clear and the mill had suffered a major collapse of the east wall, over the wheel pit, and could not be entered in 1983, although some wooden machinery could be seen through the hole in the stone wall. The waterwheel had been removed by then. The mill building had been repaired by 1999 and is presently used as outbuildings but little machinery is said to remain inside. The miller recorded in 1875 was C Taylor but no miller is listed for 1895. (4) Small three storey gritstone former corn mill of Sherbourne Brook, with later brick addition. Now used as outhouse. (5)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(i).1, with photos.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIX.13, 1900.
- <3> SDR5962 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p 531.
- <4> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B30, pp 79-80.
- <5> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 27048 48131 (149m by 140m) Approximate|
|Civil Parish||BIGGIN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 15 2023 3:37PM