A stone mill building with a tiled roof forms part of what was a farm complex (now a private house) on the Sherbourne Brook, a tributary of the River Ecclesbourne. The mill building was built transverse to the water course and the wheel was situated in the middle of the building, powered by water which flowed through a stone arch. The wheel has long since disappeared and the water supply has now dried up. A single Derbyshire millstone on the first floor is all that remains of the machinery. In 1852 the Derby Mercury advertised: 'To be let - Sherbourne mill with 44 acres of meadow/pasture. The mill is worked by water and is in excellent repair, with spacious bakehouse close by'. Traces of the bakehouse can still be seen. It was offered 'to let' in The Miller in 1885. Millers included Henry Bunting in 1846 and Thomas Moore in 1887. (1)
The 2nd edition OS map shows a long 'Mill Lade' being taken off the north side of the brook some distance to the west of the mill and crossing several fields, although apparently interrupted at one point [may have run around the edge of the field rather than across?] (2)
Sherbourne Mill is a disused water-powered corn mill built from coursed squared gritstone and red brick, with a plain tiled roof. It consists of two storeys and overloft, with a former extension to the south west only surviving at footings level. The former wheelpit to south west bay has had the wheel and drive machinery removed, but a pair of millstones remain in situ. There are plain window and door openings and a large curved buttress survives on the north side. The 19th century red brick wing to the south east has stone lintels over plain openings. The mill took its water from the River Ecclesbourne, via a long head race which is now overgrown and blocked. (3)
Sherbourne Mill House was built in the early 19th century from coursed rubble gritstone at the front, with rendered sides and rear, coped gables and end ridge back stacks. It has a shallow pitched Welsh slated roof. It is two storeys high with three bays and has glazing bar sash windows throughout. The main central doorway has a 20th century door. It is grade II listed for group value only. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B32, p 80.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIX.14, 1900.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1158538.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109052.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 29023 47721 (472m by 155m) (Approximate)
IDRIDGEHAY AND ALTON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2014 9:55AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.