Cast-iron milepost on the A515 Ashbourne-Buxton road. One face reads "London 148 miles, Derby 22 miles, Hartington Parish", one reads "Buxton 11 miles", and one reads "Ashbourne 9 miles". The milepost is on the 1738 Buxton-Ashbourne Turnpike, but was placed there after the 1771 amendment. Photographic record. (1)
Grade II listed cast-iron milepost dating from the mid 19th century. It was manufactured by James Haywood & Sons. It has a triangular sectioned base with a shallow sloping top, curving up to form flat back with segmental arched head. South face inscribed: 'BUXTON/11 MILES' and below, in smaller letters, 'J HAYWOOD JNR,/PHOENIX FOUNDRY,/ DERBY'. North face inscribed: 'ASHBOURNE/9 MILES' and below, the manufacturers name is repeated. Top face inscribed: 'HARTINGTON PARISH'. Above, on flat back in larger script: 'LONDON/148 MILES, DERBY/22 MILES'. (2)
Milepost on the Ashbourne-Buxton turnpike. (3)
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 31:5-6.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.