Cast-iron milepost on the A515 Ashbourne-Buxton Road. One face reads "London 147 miles, Derby 21 miles, Hartington Parish", one reads "Buxton 12 miles", and one reads "Ashbourne 8 miles". The milepost is on the 1738 Buxton-Ashbourne Turnpike, but was placed there after the 1771 amendment. Photographic record. (1).
Grade II listed cast-iron milepost dating from the mid 19th century. It was manufactured by James Haywood, Phoenix Foundry, Derby. It has a triangular sectioned base with a shallow sloping top, curving up to form a flat back with a segmental arched head. The south face is inscribed: 'BUXTON / 12 MILES' and below: 'J HAYWOOD / PHOENIX WORKS / DERBY'. The north face is inscribed: 'ASHBOURNE / 8 MILES' and below is the manufacturer's name again. The top face is inscribed 'LONDON / 147 MILES / DERBY / 21 MILES / HARTINGTON PARISH'. The total height of the stone is about 3½ feet. (2).
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 31:5-6.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/HAN/01.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.