Monument record MDR8758 - Limekiln and quarries, Bank Top Farm, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- LIME KILN (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1879 AD?)
- LIMESTONE QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Oval shaped lime kiln, relatively small, but its drywall is retained around much of its circumference. On the downslope side is a draught flue or emptying tunnel that is just over one metre high. Surrounding the kiln are several small limestone quarries. (1,2). The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map records this as an old limekiln and it was therefore disused by 1880. (3).
- <1> SDR19107 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1998-2001. Peak District National Park Authority Farm Surveys. 1991: Cat. No. 25.
- <2> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7079.1.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1318 6224 (79m by 32m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 26 2008 2:11PM