Monument record MDR8764 - Possible barrow, east of Twin Dales, Over Haddon
Type and Period (2)
- BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SPOIL HEAP ? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1924 6606. Probable bowl barrow measuring c. 21.5 metres in length, locate on a shelf near the edge above Lathkill Dale. It appears to be a barrow, but may well be a ploughed-over mine heap. (1). Extensive remains of lead ore workings immediately west of this mound suggest that it could represent the remnants of a mineral waste heap. (2). Probable Bronze Age burial mound, 12.3m in diameter, situated just below the brow of a promontory, on its south-east corner. (3).
- <1> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8.38.
- <2> SDR13564 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1973. Lathkill Dale, Derbyshire, its mines and miners. p 16, fig. 2.
- <3> SDR19250 Unpublished document: English, E & Wilson, J. 1991. A Field Survey of an Extensive Part of the Civil parish of Over Haddon in the Peak District of Derbyshire. p 24, no. 151.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1915 6605 (345m by 288m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||OVER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2008 11:42AM