Monument record MDR8765 - Possible round barrow, Lathkilldale, Over Haddon
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SPOIL HEAP ? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This field contains several mounds and one elliptical feature, 10m by 3m by 1m high, which has been interpreted as a probable Bronze Age round barrow. (1). This mound reported as a possible barrow is almost certainly a lead-mine heap left after a major reworking of heaps in the immediate vicinity. (2). The close proximity of Mandale and Pasture Lead Rakes suggest that these mounds may well be remnants of working waste heaps in a field which has otherwise been reworked and levelled. (3)
- <1> SDR19250 Unpublished document: English, E & Wilson, J. 1991. A Field Survey of an Extensive Part of the Civil parish of Over Haddon in the Peak District of Derbyshire. p22, no 142.
- <2> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8.H.
- <3> SDR13564 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1973. Lathkill Dale, Derbyshire, its mines and miners. p16, fig. 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1944 6629 (267m by 203m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||OVER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2008 4:12PM