Monument record MDR8773 - Leat and aqueduct, Lathkill Dale, Youlgreave
Type and Period (2)
Extensive leat tapping the River Lathkill upstream of Meadow Place Wood. It extends along the south side of the river, originally crossing it at SK 1945 6610 via a wooden aqueduct on stone pillars. Only the stone supports now survive. The water drove a water-wheel at Mandale Mine Engine house [SMR 11418] which pumped water from the mine. (1-5). This area is a high priority lead mining site. (6). 1400 metre long lead mining leat, recorded by Barnatt in five different sections. This section is the easternmost part. It holds water for about 70 metres in a channel which is about five metres wide and a metre deep. At various points along this section, walls cross and block the leat. Continuing eastwards, the leat is dry and has a u-shaped profile. Along the bank are various features including small additional quarries, eight in all and channels which run from the leat into the river. The leat was extended in 1840 when the aqueduct was built. Large scale extraction ceased at Lathkill Dale Mine in 1841 to 1842. (7). Photographic record. (8,9). [See also SMR 15757 and SMR 11491]. The leat appears to have been cut shortly before 1830. A sluice at its westernmost end was the subject of an archaeological structural survey in 2008 as part of improvements being made to monitor and measure water flow passing over the nearby weir. (10)
- <1> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 83-89.
- <2> SDR16407 Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire. pp 49-50.
- <3> SDR4740 Article in serial: Rieuwerts, J. 1963. 'Lathkill Dale - Its Mines and Miners', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 2. pp 9-30.
- <4> SDR13564 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1973. Lathkill Dale, Derbyshire, its mines and miners.
- <5> SDR4745 Article in serial: 1969. A survey of Mandale Mine, Bull PDMHS. Vol. 14, No. 1, pp 67-74. pp 67-74.
- <6> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. Site 78, pp 108-109.
- <7> SDR20239 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 2005. Lathkill Dale National Nature Reserve: Over Haddon, Monyash and Youlgreave Parishes, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2005. No.133, pp 155-159.
- <8> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 530.6-7.
- <9> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 11443.1.
- <10> SDR21233 Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPA). 2011. An Archaeological Survey of a Sluice at SK1852 6578 on the River Lathkill, near Over Haddon, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1942 6582 (1106m by 371m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2015 9:18AM