Building record MDR8775 - Bateman's house and shafts, Youlgreave
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- VENTILATION SHAFT (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- TURBINE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Agent's house to Lathkill Dale Mining Company. James Bateman was agent from 1836, until closure of the mine in 1842. Two shafts beneath the house are known as Bateman's shafts, the correct names are unknown. This is the site of the 'disc engine', a primitive turbine pumping engine by the Dakyur (?) brothers, flax spinners of Darley Dale, part of which, at least, was made by the Adelphi Foundary in Chesterfield in 1831. The engine was referred to as working satisfactorily in 1833. (1-4).
- <1> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 83-89.
- <2> SDR16407 Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire. p49.
- <3> SDR4740 Article in serial: Rieuwerts, J. 1963. 'Lathkill Dale - Its Mines and Miners', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 2. pp 9-30.
- <4> SDR13564 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1973. Lathkill Dale, Derbyshire, its mines and miners.
- <5> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 534.24.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1943 6584 (12m by 16m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2015 2:18PM