Monument record MDR8777 - Youlgreave lead mining, north of Lomberdale Hall, Youlgreave
Type and Period (4)
- LEAD MINE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- MINE SHAFT (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAKE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPOIL HEAP (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
17th to 19th century area of lead mining hillocks on veins between Long Rake and Youlgreave village. (1). A lead rake runs [through this area] east to west north of Needleseye Plantation. To the east the rake is better perserved, containing four shafts and waste hillocks, all overlying a medieval lynchet. To the west there are four shafts and waste hillocks. [At the eastern tip of the lead mining area is] one shaft, approximately one and hlaf metres in diameter, and waste hillocks to the west of Needleseye Plantation. Another shaft on the eastern edge has been walled up. (2). Part of this site has been designated a High Priority Lead Mining Site, mainly for its ecological value at several veins with remaining hillocks and other somewhat degraded hillocks. (3) Youlgreave is a formerly important lead-mining parish with few significant surface remains. Five lead mines continued to be listed in 1857, but by 1904 there was only the Long Rake Spar Co. Some former lead-mining activity is evident along Long Rake but much of it has been destroyed through modern mining work. Disturbed ground, depressions and heaps of stone indicate former-lead mining areas. (4)
- <1> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 8.6.1994.
- <2> SDR20241 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 1994. Hopping Farm, Youlgreave, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. No.69, p17.
- <3> SDR21540 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2005. Updated Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District.. p 10, site nos. N165 & N166.
- <4> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 19670 64255 (918m by 458m)|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 27 2017 3:59PM