Monument record MDR8783 - Stoneyford Deep Lock (site of), Cromford Canal, Langley Mill
Type and Period (1)
- CANAL LOCK (Georgian - 1794 AD to 1794 AD)
- None recorded
Site of a canal lock shown on Sanderson's map of 1835 (1) and the Ordnance Ssurvey map of 1898. (2) Stoneyford Deep Lock No. 10 - there is no obvious surviving above ground evidence. (3) The shortest pound on the canal was between Stoneyford Deep lock and Stoneyford Shallow lock [SMR 16010]. This short stretch was photographed in 1907. There are very few features still recognisable on the canal's route in the Stoneyford area today, following opencast coal mining and backfilling in the 1960s. (4)
- <1> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XL!.9, 1898.
- <3> SDR19265 Bibliographic reference: Friends of the Cromford Canal. 2003. A Walker's Guide to the Cromford Canal. p 4.
- <4> SDR19442 Bibliographic reference: Potter, H. 2003. The Cromford Canal. pp 92-93, illustr..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 44709 49292 (24m by 51m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2011 3:28PM