Monument record MDR8797 - Ore crushing wheel and Royal Oak Lead Mine, 311m south-east of Cop Farm, Tideswell
Type and Period (2)
- CRUSHING MILL (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1880 AD)
- LEAD MINE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
Royal Oak Mine gritstone ore crushing wheel, without a rim. Much of the site is disturbed by spar removal, but the wheel remains standing upright. There is a covered engine shaft, but no details are known, and cellared yard walls. The circle has been removed. (1,2) An edge runner from an ore-crusher erected on end in a field in an area of ground disturbed by mining. (3). Royal Oak Mine. Larger lead waste hillocks which were levelled by fluorspar removal which occurred after 1970. All that remains is a covered engine shaft and low ruined belland yard walls. The ore crushing circle has been removed, but a gritstone crushing wheel remains standing. Lead working was probably occurring here in the 17th century, and the mine itself may date from the 18th century. The mine is marked on the 1880 Ordnance Survey map as 'old' and so was redundant by this date. (4). Plotted using the illustration from Authority 4. (5).
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. C264, J Rieuwerts, 6.12.87.
- <2> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. C170, G Challenger, 22.11.83.
- <3> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales. p 52.
- <4> SDR20383 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1997. Wheston House Farm, Bradwell and Tideswell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1997. No. 55, p 22.
- <5> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1288 7938 (229m by 71m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||TIDESWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 26 2015 4:25PM