Skip to main content

Monument record MDR8817 - Shore's Mill, Heage (site of)

Type and Period (2)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

This watermill stood below Heage windmill (SMR 24727) and at one time both were owned by the same family, the Shores. Little is known of the mill, but by the 1870s it had steam power in addition to water power, making the Shore's milling operation one of the few in the country which could use wind, water or steam. Isaac Shore is recorded as the miller in 1857 with ownership passing to Joseph and Enoch in 1887 and finally closing under Thomas in the 1920s. The mill was offered for sale in the village at an auction in 1936 but has now been demolished and no visible features remain except the small brook and some stonework. An undated painting by Thomas Shore shows his grandfather tending a bearing on a backshot wheel that appears to be about 12ft diameter and 5ft wide. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. C19, p 121.



Grid reference SK 36474 50599 (point) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 21 2011 2:53PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.