Building record MDR8825 - Brough Corn Mill, Brough, Brough and Shatton
Type and Period (5)
- CORN MILL (Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1066 AD to 1924 AD)
- WATERMILL (Early 20th Century - 1924 AD to 1924 AD)
- CORN MILL (Early 20th Century - 1924 AD to 1924 AD)
- WATERMILL (Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1066 AD to 1924 AD)
- WATER WHEEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Brough Mill stands on the stream called Bradwell Brook near to the junction with the Noe. It was owned by the Strelley family from the late 12th century. (1) Brough Mill is a two-storey limestone mill building. The site has medieval origins, but the mill was rebuilt in 1924 after a fire. Threshing and drying (in a kiln) were performed, as well as grinding. There were formerly five sets of grindstones, powered by two waterwheels. Electricity was generated at the mill until 1950. The site is now used as a warehouse, but one waterwheel (12" diameter) still survives. (2-4) Brough Mill eventually became the property of the Eyre's of Hassop Estates in 1625, and has remained so until the present day . It is a three storey stone corn mill, with a flagged stone roof. It has also been used as a saw mill, which was powered by one of the two waterwheels. An inventory of the mill was produced by William Eyre in 1885, which included two waterwheels and two sets of machinery. Five sets of grinding stones were powered by the two waterwheels for grinding and to produce oatmeal. The mill also owned a circular saw, a wood turning lathe and a drying kiln. Following a fire that broke out in 1924, the interior was virtually gutted, but both of the waterwheels were saved. The mill was re-built in 1925, although the waterwheels and some of the original machinery were re-used. One of the wheels drove a 110 volt dynamo for lighting the mill, and the roof space was redeveloped for extra storage. When Ladybower Reservoir was built in the late 1940s, the water flow to the mill was severely restricted. In 1955 the east wheel and its associated machinery was demolished and its watercourse was blocked up. Electric motors were required to supplement the water power, and in 1960 the 'Limestone Pumping Scheme' reduced the water flow even further. In 1967 the milling business was closed down, but the buildings continued in use as an agricultural merchants. The majority of the machinery was scrapped, but the north wheel with its iron shaft and wooden starts and floats still remain intact . (7)
- <1> SDR8144 Bibliographic reference: Kerry, K C. 1892. 'Notes to the pedigree of the Strelleys of Hazlebadge', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 14, pp 109-118. p 110.
- <2> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 7.
- <3> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1321.
- <4> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p 194.
- <5> SDR14743 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 3055.. 3055.
- <6> SDR19107 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1998-2001. Peak District National Park Authority Farm Surveys. 2001: 379.29-30.
- <7> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. pp 43-46.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 183 826 (61m by 44m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BROUGH AND SHATTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2015 3:01PM