Monument record MDR8842 - Cast-iron milepost, near Windy Knoll, Buxton Road, Castleton
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Cast-iron milepost. Painted white with black lettering. It reads 'Chapel-en-le-Frith, 4 miles' and 'Sheffield 18 miles, Hathersage 8 Miles, Castleton 2 miles'. It stands on the 1758 Sheffield-Sparrowpit Gate Turnpike Road. (1, 2). Listed grade II (5)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D129.
- <2> SDR20407 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1993. Winnats Head Farm, Castleton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1993. No. 57, p 9.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 507.49; 6.83: 25.11.
- <4> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/CAS/01.
- <5> SDR22140 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 12.
|Grid reference||SK 1261 8315 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2014 1:24PM