Monument record MDR8843 - Cast-iron milepost, abandoned section of the A625, Castleton
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Cast-iron milepost. Painted white with black lettering. Sunken into ground, bottom right-hand side not visible. It reads 'Chapel-en-le-Frith 5 miles, Sparrowpit 4 miles' and 'Sheffield 17 miles, Hathersage ? Miles' . On the 1812 diversion of Sheffield-Chapel Turnpike. In June 1983 it was just through a gate on the left-hand side of an 'access only' part of Mam Tor road. (1). Milepost at 0S 134837. Grade II listed milepost, dating from the early 19th century. It is constructed of cast iron and is triangular in plan, the upper part cut away in concave curve. The milepost is inscribed CHAPEL EN LE/FRITH/5 MILES/SPARROWPIT/4 MILES SHEFFIELD/17 MILES/HATHERSAGE/7 MILES. (2)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D130.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 6.83: 25.13; 507.47.
- <4> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/CAS/02.
|Grid reference||SK 1342 8364 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 6 2013 11:17AM