Monument record MDR8844 - Cast-iron milepost, Wing Cottage, Castleton
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Cast-iron milepost, painted white with black lettering. It reads 'Castleton, Chapel-en-le-Frith 6 miles, Sparrowpit 5 miles' and 'Sheffield 16 miles, Hathersage 6 miles'. It is situated on the 1758 Sheffield-Sparrowpit Gate turnpike. (1) Milepost at SK 146828. Grade II listed cast-iron milepost, dating from the early 19th century. It is triangular in plan, the upper part cut away in concave curve, and is inscribed CASTLETON/CHAPEL EN LE/FRITH/6 MILES/SPARROWPIT/5 MILES SHEFFIELD/16 MILES/HATHERSAGE/6 MILES. (2)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D131.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 6.83: 25.14; 507.48.
- <4> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/CAS/03.
|Grid reference||SK 1458 8286 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2015 12:03PM