Cast-iron milepost on the A515 Ashbourne-Buxton road. Reads 'London 150 miles, Derby 24 miles, Hartington Parish' and 'Buxton 9 miles' and 'Ashbourne 11 miles'. It is on the 1738 Buxton-Ashbourne Turnpike, but was placed after the 1771 amendment. (1). The milepost is recorded on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore predates 1880. (2).
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1983: 3.18-20.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1524 6258 (10m by 10m) (Approximate)
HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 2 2007 9:52AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.