Monument record MDR8857 - Cast-iron milepost, north-east of Snels Low, Peak Forest
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
On the B6061 east of Eldon Hill Quarry is a hollow cast iron triangular milepost with a dished top, in good condition. It dates from the early 19th century. The east face reads 'SPARROWPIT / 2 MILES', the west face reads 'SHEFFIELD / 19 MILES / HATHERSAGE / 9 MILES / CASTLETON / 3 MILES'. It stands on the former 1758 Sheffield-Sparrowpit Gate turnpike road. (1-3)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D166.
- <2> SDR19855 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2003. Oxlow House Farm, Peak Forest, Derbyshire, archaeological field survey, 2003. No.16, p 9.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 25.12; 507.124.
- <5> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/PEA/01.
|Grid reference||SK 1153 8187 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||PEAK FOREST, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2015 11:15AM