Monument record MDR8862 - Milepost, Bakewell Road, Taddington
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Milepost on the A6, originally the 1810 Ashford-Buxton Turnpike. The 1878 1st edition 25" OS shows the milepost as reading "LONDON 155, BUXTON 8, BAKEWELL3½". The second edition has Bakewell as 3 miles, while the 1919-1920 edition shows Bakewell as 4 miles. The Peak Park Treasure records "LONDON 154" at the top. (1-4) Mile post. Early C19. Cast iron. Circular shaft and broader circular body with raised bead moulding and domed top. Inscribed around the top LONDON 155. The rest of the information was painted and is no longer visible. (5). The remainder of the original legend, now illegible, was probably Buxton 8, Bakewell 3½. (7)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Davies, Fifield, PW and Davies, JE; 1983; D34.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <6> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 3.34.
- <7> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/TAD/01.
|Grid reference||SK 1693 7068 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||TADDINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2011 11:56AM