Monument record MDR8867 - Milestone, 80m north-east of Friden Hollow Bowl Barrow, Middleton and Smerrill
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Stone milestone, set at an angle on the Corbsbury Road at Friden, Boulderstone Plantation. It is one metre high. One side reads 'Ashbourn, 10 miles' (deliberately mutilated), the other reads 'Bakewell 16, Sheffield 19'. (1). It is on the 1759 Newhaven-Grindleford Turnpike. The writing is very indistinct and the stone is lichen covered. In May 1983 it was leaning towards the wall. (2). The milestone was already recorded on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 as being defaced. (4)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D73, Filfield, D, 1973.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 31.0-2.
- <3> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/MID/01.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||SK 175 613 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 24 2008 9:50AM