Stydd Hall was built on the site of a Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers. Parts of the building are Elizabethan and are probably the work of Francis Colwich, who acquired the property in 1559. (1)
Three modern windows have recently replaced mullion windows adjoining the north-west corner of Stydd Hall, which remains outstanding. Condition - fair. (2)
The present house at Yeaveley stands on medieval stone foundations, but is Elizabethan or Jacobean. (3)
Stydd Hall is a strange tower-like house set in an eerie landscape beside the scanty remains of a former preceptory of he Knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem. It was probably built by Thomas Colwich, grandson of Francis Colwich referred to above, who came into the property in 1580. In plan it is square, three by three bays, and is three storeys high. The flat roof once had strange cylindrical stacks (now cropped) and a projecting stair tower to enable people to have access to the leads, suggesting something more like a hunting lodge than a residence; nevertheless the Colwiches were always described as 'of Stydd' which indicates that it was at some point at least their main seat. Francis Colwich was taxed on a mere four hearths in 1664. At some point the Hall became a farmhouse. It was drastically altered in the 1860s, the rebuilding having much in common with the sort of work being done by T C Hine of Nottingham, who was working at nearby Foston Hall in 1863. (5)
The 17th century Stydd Hall was built on the ruins of a medieval Knights Hospitaller preceptory. Preceptories were the home bases of this crusading order and generated funds for missions overseas. Stydd preceptory was closed by Henry VIII and the site was acquired by landed gentry. The present hall incorporated the remnants of one of the preceptory buildings. The ruins of the preceptory chapel stand close by and buried archaeological remains surround the buildings. Stydd Hall later became a farmhouse, but its condition gradually deteriorated and it was placed on the first national Buildings at Risk Register in 1998. With grant aid and help from Historic England, the building is undergoing a programme of repairs and it is hoped that it will soon be removed from the Heritage at Risk Register . (6)
There is a black and white photograph of the hall that was taken c. 1900 in the Parish File (paper). (7)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. p 283.
Personal Observation: F2 DJC 19-MAR-74.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 362.
Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1997. Scheduling Description: Moated preceptory, chapel and fishpond at Stydd Hall. 23335.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. pp 210-212.
Unpublished document: Historic England. 2015. Heritage at Risk: East Midlands Summary.
Photograph: Photograph Collection, Conservation & Design section, Derbyshire County Council. HER Parish File (paper) and HER Images (digital).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1720 4002 (18m by 18m) (Centre)
YEAVELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2016 2:04PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.