Monument record MDR8874 - Cross-shaft fragment and building, Derwent submerged village, Ladybower Reservoir, Derwent
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Late Anglo-Saxon decorated cross fragment incorporated into one of the buildings in the village of Derwent. Usually under water of the Derwent Dam, but was noted in autumn 1990 by P. Sidebottom at the time of very low water. Excavated in autumn 1991 when the water was again low. The decoration above ground level was obliterated. The stone was incorporated into the fireplace of a 19th century cottage and probably came from a local source, perhaps a church that was replaced by the 13th century chapel at Derwent. The stone may by 10th century in date. In 1990 the stone was 81cm high, but was reduced by 1991 to 59 x 33 x 22 cm. It is in a fine medium-grained millstone-grit with remnants of interlace decoration. (1, 2) Part of a Saxon period cross shaft found in submerged village of Derwent now under Ladybower Reservoir. May not be original provenance. Now destroyed. (3)
- <1> SDR19287 Archive: Sidebottom, P. 1991. The Derwent Cross-Shaft, Discovery and Excavation.
- <2> SDR19738 Article in serial: Sidebottom, P. 1993. 'The Derwent cross shaft: discovery and excavation 1991', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Volume 17, pp 9-18.
- <3> SDR19261 Correspondence: Sidebottom, P. 1994. Letter regarding Anglo-Saxon stone monuments in Derbyshire, 15th February, 1994. Letter.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1849 8862 (10m by 7m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DERWENT, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2015 12:36PM