Monument record MDR8879 - Sheepwash, south-east of Damside Farm, Peak Forest
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A rectangular pond and pound lie to the rear of a dam wall at Peak Forest [SMR 11621]. The pound wall is sited on earlier stone footings - possibly a mill. (1). A mill is noted on a map of 1807 at the location of the current house, downstream of the sheepwash. (2). A building called 'Mill Cottage' is recorded on the 1880 Ordnance Survey map, nine metres south of the sheepwash and holding. (3). Sheepwash and holding pen immediately west of the dam [SMR 11621] on the south side of Peak Forest. The outflow from the reservoir was used to water a large rectangular pond with sloped access/exit from the east to the deepest part to the west, beyond which the holding pen is located. The east wall has a sheep-size gap through which the sheep were forced into the sheep wash. The site was restored by conservation volunteers in 1987 - the holding pen walls were rebuilt, silt was removed from the pond and the surrounding stonework was made good. Potatoes were subsequently grown in the holding pen. (4)
- <1> SDR19916 Map: 1807. Map of the Liberty of Peak Forest.
- <2> SDR10691 Index: NDAT. 2905. 2905.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 1999.
- <5> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 405.19-24.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 11647.1-6.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1157 7876 (31m by 17m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||PEAK FOREST, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2015 11:18AM