Monument record MDR889 - Wyaston barrow, near Rodsley Lane, Wyaston, Edlaston and Wyaston
Type and Period (2)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- BARROW (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
Tumulus (NR) appears at this site on the 6" OS map of 1955. (1) An earthen barrow at Wyaston, 13 yds in diameter and 4ft high, was opened by Carrington on September 10 1852. The only signs of burial were human teeth accompanied by a necklace of 27 beads (5 of amber, 22 of glass), silver earrings, a silver finger ring and a penannular or annular flat bronze brooch, with the pin missing. A second barrow 'at a short distance' was opened immediately after, but nothing was found [see SMR 19503]. (2, 3) The published barrow has a maximum height of 1.7m, and is much spread. Published survey 1:2500 correct. (4) Ploughing has reduced the height of this barrow to 1.0m. Published survey (25") correct. (5) SK 192421. Edlaston and Wyaston. The round barrow at Edlaston and Wyaston is about 3 ft high and 50 ft in diameter. (6-7) SK 19114200. Barrow listed in survey. (8) SK 192421. Round barrow 1/4 mile (400m) north-west of Common Farm, Wyaston. Scheduled. (9) The barrow lies on the crest of a broad ridge on a locally high point with good visibility in all directions. This earthen mound is badly ploughed down and spread. It is 0.6m high and its original diameter was probably in the range of 15-20m. Carrington's description of his excavation on 10th September 1852 presumably relates to this site - the discrepancy in dimensions could be accounted for by ploughing subsequent to 1852. He put a trench in from the south side to the centre and found a grave dug into the top of the mound. He found the remains of an Anglian inhumation, associated with a necklace of 27 beads, a silver finger ring, silver earrings and a circular brooch. There were no finds in a primary context. The second barrow is presumed lost or destroyed. (11)
- <1> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p188-9.
- <3> SDR6839 Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1954. 'The Anglian Settlement of the Derbyshire-Staffordshire Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 74, pp 134-151. p150.
- <4> SDR6363 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
- <5> SDR6549 Personal Observation: F2 DJC 19-MAR-74.
- <6> SDR7143 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1963. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 94-96. p94.
- <7> SDR15800 Index: Trent Valley Archaeological Research Committee (TVARC). c1980. Trent Valley Archaeological Research Committee Gazetteer: 5.
- <8> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites. p80.
- <9> SDR5579 Bibliographic reference: DOE(IAM) Anc Mons Eng 3 1978 23.
- <10> SDR15125 Index: TPAT. 2321. 2321.
- <11> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 16:7.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1911 4201 (36m by 36m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EDLASTON AND WYASTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 25 2015 3:13PM