Site record MDR8908 - Erewash Canal, Erewash and Amber Valley

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian - 1778 AD to 1779 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Construction of the Erewash Canal commenced in 1778, with the canal opening in 1779. It began in the River Trent and ran north towards the River Erewash at Long Eaton. It then continued along the western side of the river, approximately parallel to it, as far as Langley Mill, where it was joined by the Cromford Canal in 1792. The canal remained profitable for a long period; nevertheless it began to decline during the second half of the 19th century, particularly after the opening of the Erewash Valley Railway line in 1847. It finally closed to commercial traffic in 1952, however, and the Transport Act of 1968 declared the canal closed to navigation from Long Eaton to Langley Mill. This led to the foundation of the Erewash Canal Preservation and Development Association, with the result that the canal is now open to pleasure craft. (1) Erewash Canal, from its confluence with River Trent at Trent Lock, to northern boundary of parish. Length includes locks at various points and brick-arched bridges. Canal authorised in 1777 and opened 1779. (2) Baxter describes the route of the tramways connecting the Erewash Canal; 'Bailey Brook: from head of Canal at Langley Bridge, west to Bailey Brook Pit. Traffic, coal. Newmanleys Mill: an early wooden way from Shipley Lock, west to Shipley Colliery. Opened, 1788 (until 1790). Traffic, coal. Newthorpe Common: Near Botany Bay Wharf, across River Erewash and the Nottingham Canal, to Newthorpe Common Colliery. Branch at Erewash Brickworks, north east to old pit on east of Newthorpe. Opened, 1817. Traffic, coal. Babbington Moor (SMR 21668): at Cotmanhay Wharf, Ilkeston, north east across River Erewash and the Nottingham Canal to Babbington Moor Colliery. Traffic, coal. Cotmanhay: at Cotmanhay Wharf, north west to Cotmanhay Colliery. Opened, 1817. Traffic, coal.' (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Erewash Canal Preservation & Development Association. The Erewash Canal, A Guide and History.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Baxter, B. 1966. Stone Blocks and Iron Rails.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 48457 32501 (3707m by 16007m)
Civil Parish ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish SANDIACRE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish STANTON BY DALE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish SHIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 13 2022 10:16AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.