Monument record MDR8923 - Wall Box, Brough, Hope
Type and Period (1)
- WALL BOX (Victorian - 1859 AD to 1861 AD)
- None recorded
Victorian post-box with flap cover set in a stone wall. (1) V. R. Box with unusual 'letter box' type flat and ridge of stones forming a V- shaped roof over the box. Set into the wall near the foothpath to the Roman Fort. Still in use in April 1983. Standard VR wall box No. 2 (small) 1859-1861 by Smith and Hawkes. Photographic record. (2, 3) Victorian letterbox type WB75. One of about 70 in the country. This type should have a canopy at the top, but the one on this particular box is broken off. The type can still be recognised because the top of the box itself is triangular, not straight. (4)
- <1> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1983: 15.10-11; 471.2a-3a.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 8141.1-3.
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. Un-numbered.
|Grid reference||SK 181 825 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2013 4:14PM