Building record MDR8932 - Highstones Farm Barn, North of Torside Reservoir, Tintwistle
Type and Period (1)
- BARN (Georgian to 21st Century - 1732 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Highstones Farm barn, north of Torside Reservoir, Tintwistle, built in 1732. Stone carving on the door lintel of a ruined barn at Highstones. There is a stylised floral decoration across the top, then division into two of the carving by a vertical line. The left side has 'W' and then 'IM' below, while the right side has a five-pointed star, with the date 1732 below. The upper and lower edges of the two halves of the carving are curved in the same direction, to give the appearance of two shields side by side. (1) The surrounding area was part of a topographic survey carried out between 1986 and 1989, when the building was reported to be derelict. Although detail on the farm building itself was not provided, with the exception of a photogrpah of the date stone, a detailed description of all nearby boundary walls and features were. (2) The farmstead was part of the Historic Farmsteads Project. (3-6)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. E153, April 1982.
- <2> SDR24542 Unpublished document: Ellison, P et al. 1989. Longdendale Survey Highstones Area, 1989.
- <3> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <4> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <5> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <6> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
|Grid reference||SK 0608 9900 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2020 9:23PM